© Tom Chambers
• Name, location
Tom Chambers, Richmond, Virginia
• Is photography your day job? If not, do you want it to be?
My photography is my (second) day job, although I dont like to call it a job. I would love to support myself totally with my photography but it isn't feasible at this point in time.
• Can you remember/describe the first print you ever made?
The first print I made that excited me was one I made in art school (1983) A double exposure: An image of a woman opening a door and outside a huge tiger head, teeth exposed. Ha, since then things haven't changed all that much with my direction.
• Why photography? Why do you do this?
Photography is the medium that best allows me to express my vision. Photography generally depicts reality, but skew that to some degree and it makes the viewer uncomfortable and draws their attention quickly. It is also a medium that I've been familiar with for some time due to my work as a graphic designer.
• How did your project develop?
I am very concerned about what is happening with the environment and the world's wild animal population. Since I typically use images of animals in my photomontages, it was not a huge step to create a series that uses animals as symbols.
• It's early yet, but have you had any concrete opportunities arise from your participation in Critical Mass? Shows? Publications? Print sales? High fives at a party?
Nothing this time around but the last one in 2006 led to a solo show at the George Billis gallery in LA and a number of print sales.
• Who are your favorite photographers, images, websites, projects, or blogs, etc. that inspire?
Josef Koudelka, Sebastião Salgado, Graciela Iturbide, Cormac McCarthy (writer)