- A portion of staff salaries and overhead to ensure we have basic facilities/equipment to run the program.
- Payment to a programmer to manage the registration system, the online juror voting system and CD production.
- Costs associated with the Critical Mass Top 50 traveling exhibition.
- Expenses to produce the Book Award monograph (design, production, and printer fees).
- Shipping of the CD's and monograph(s) to all jurors and entrants (typically 700+ people). This is why we charge a bit more for international entrants as the expense of shipping the books has gone up exponentially in the last several years.
"Just wanted to share with you a positive outcome from my involvement with Critical Mass. I was offered representation and a solo show with the Corden/Potts Gallery in San Francisco! They saw my work on CM and interestingly, they contacted me the day the top 50 list was announced. Today everything was finalized, so I am able to announce the news.
Although I am of course disappointed I did not make the Top 50 list, I am very happy to have been a finalist. I'm not sure this opportunity would have presented itself had it not been for CM."